Budding Poisons
The Animal Hospitals at Bideawee know that plants may be pretty, but some plants are poisonous - and even deadly. As little as a single leaf from any lily variety can be lethal to your cats.

Other plants to avoid are:
-Amaryllis
-Azaleas
-Christmas tree pine needles
-Chrysanthemums
-Daffodils
-Easter cacti
-Holly
-Hyacinths
-Mistletoe
-Mulch with cocoa beans
-Oleander
-Poinsettias
-Tulips
 
Toxic Medications
Acetaminophen is found in more than 200 prescription and nonprescription formulations such as Tylenol, Hydrocodone (Vicodin) and Lorcet. Acetaminophen reduces our pains and fevers: But just one pill can kill a cat. A dog that ingests it can suffer kidney failure and liver damage. Dogs are most commonly poisoned by ibuprofen, enticed by the pill's sweet coating. Common brands of ibuprofen include Advil, Midol, and Motrin, although it comes in many generic forms as well.
 
The Wrath of Grapes
The Animal Poison Control Center advises that as few as seven grapes can be fatal to dogs. Current, the exact toxic component remains unclear; but symptoms can last several days to weeks - if your pet responds to treatment. Other toxic foods include avocados, chocolate, coffee, raisins, nutmeg, onions, garlic, raw salmon, and the sweetener Xylitol, which is found in items like sugar-free candy and gum.
 
Ease Off the Antifreeze
Common sense may tell you that antifreeze is deadly. But are you aware how often pets are exposed to it? You can look no farther than your driveway or garage, on the street or in a parking lot for it. To keep your pet from licking antifreeze, pour cat litter or sand over the sweet-smelling fluid. Pet-safe antifreeze is also available at many stores.
 
Caution with Cleaners
We're not advising you to stop cleaning your house, but be careful where you store potentially hazardous cleaning products. Pets can gain access to bottles found in lower cabinets or the trash can. IN particular, bathroom cleaners that contain bleach or disinfectant sprays can cause very serious chemical burns on the tongue and upper esophagus if a pet licks or consumes them.
 
Deadly Flea Products
Some flea products are more harmful than the fleas themselves. Many over-the-counter treatments contain the toxins pyrethrin and permethrin, and insecticide commonly used to kill fleas on dogs. Before you buy a topical flea product, ask your veterinarian which ones are safe for your pet.
 
Top Toxins
Pets are commonly treated for ingesting the following poisons:
-Acetaminophen
-Ibuprofen
-Plants, particularly lilies
-Human food
-Household cleaners
-Antifreeze
-Over-the-counter flea treatments
-Pesticides
 
Toxic-Free Tip
A few simple measures can prevent accidental poisoning:
-Use covered trash bins inside the house to prevent access to disposed medications, empty cleaning bottles, dental floss, and food.
-Keep pets out of the garage or shed, away from oil and antifreeze leaks from cars.
-Don't store cleaners under sinks, unless you can securely close them within cabinets.
-During the holidays, cover your tree's water so pets can't drink out of the stand. And remember, pine needles are poisonous.

 

×