We are currently unable to schedule Long Island-based Pet Therapy classes, but please fill out an application and we will contact you in February!
About the Process
- Bideawee is an Affiliate Member of Pet Partners, a nationally recognized animal assisted therapy organization. Here at Bideawee, we will provide you with all of your Pet Partners registration requirements. Pet Partners is an organization that provides registration and insurance to handlers and their pets for pet therapy visits. It is a wonderful organization with many benefits for our volunteers, including up to 2 million dollars in liability insurance. You can visit their website at www.petpartners.org for more information on becoming a team.
- To begin Bideawee’s Program, I would schedule you and your pet for a pre-screening, which is a 15 minute meeting with me, our trainer, you and your dog to determine whether you and your pet are good candidates for Pet Therapy by meeting all of the prerequisites listed below. If you meet the requirements, you would proceed to take Bideawee’s Pet Therapy Training Class, which consist of five one-hour classes once a week. There is a $300 fee for the Training Classes. At this time, you will also take Pet Partner's Online Handlers Course. This online course is for the handler, and quizzes you on basic protocol when going on a visit, such as HIPPA laws, and the appropriate way to handle your dog. The fee for this course is $70.00. The last step is a Pet Partners Evaluation performed at Bideawee by one of the Pet Partners Evaluators. If you pass, you will register with Pet Partners (there is a fee of $95, $50 for those over 55 years of age). Once you receive your Pet Partner’s acceptance, we will work together to find the best suitable placement. Every two years you will need to be re-evaluated and re-register with Pet Partners.
- The prerequisites for registering with Pet Partners and becoming a Bideawee Pet Therapy pair include:
- The person handling the animal must be at least 10 years old. Handlers younger than 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and must have written permission to participate from a parent or guardian.
- All animals must have lived in the owner’s home for at least 6 months.
- Dogs must be at least one year at the time the animal is evaluated.
- Dogs trained to aggressively protect and/or encouraged to actively bite, even as a component of a dog sport, may not be Pet Partners.
- Your dog should know basic obedience commands and should be calm, friendly, outgoing and predictable.
- Your dog should feel comfortable around people in wheelchairs or using crutches or walkers & around people with unusual movements, and/or loud outbursts.
- Your dog should be in good health and well groomed, with up to date vaccinations.
- Your dog must be spayed/neutered.
- Your dog may not consume a raw protein diet.
- More ...
- Less ...