Intake Facility Volunteer
Please review the entire description before applying
Responsible for working with staff and other volunteers for the care of in-house cats and/or dogs including feeding, cleaning, socializing, and evaluation of physical and emotional wellbeing. Provide general housekeeping, including laundry, and other miscellaneous tasks.
All Volunteers must meet the following requirements to get started at the shelter:
- Willingness to help with cleaning tasks
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Familiarity with animals preferred
- Willingness to learn new methods and practices in animal care
- Review and proactively respond to electronic and verbal communication with team members
- Comfortable volunteering in a shelter environment that may potentially have sick animals
- Must be 16 or older to volunteer
- Pass the Green/Blue Cat and/or the Green/Blue Dog Mentorships to work with the Green/Blue cats and/or dogs.
- Additional mentorships will be required to work with animals from other color codes.
- Cleaning – Ensure that all animals are in a clean, comfortable environment at all times with appropriate bedding. This includes properly disinfecting kennels, toys, and dishes by using appropriate protocols and removing fecal matter or any debris in the area they are housed in. Make sure that all areas are odor-free at all times.
- Feeding – Make sure each animal receives the proper amount and type of food prescribed and always has fresh water (unless it is prohibited for a medical reason). Training/staff approval required.
- Infection Control – Practice infection control procedures consistently wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when necessary.
- Socialization – Make sure all animals get proper social contact, as well as appropriate social experiences and document them. Dog to dog (including puppy to puppy) interactions should never be conducted. Cat to cat (including kitten to kitten) interactions are also not to be conducted for cats/kittens that do not live in the same resort.
- Policies and Procedures – Following the rules and procedures as dictated by trainings and signs. Knowing and understanding the color codes.
- Record Keeping – Log all behaviors, eating habits, and anything out of the ordinary in the appropriate logbook, keeping coworkers apprised. Logging dogs in and out for enrichment sessions and walks.
- Schedule – Sign up for shifts in MyImpact, log hours in a timely fashion, update your availability when there are changes.
Bideawee’s Conformance Statements:
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all volunteers are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other volunteers, staff, and customers
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Record Keeping – Volunteers are responsible for logging their service hours on their MyImpact page.